Monday 2 September 2013

Relevance of people and human connections

I heard about John Butler Trio, a few years ago, by a freak accident. An accident which actually happened because of several other accidental happenings in my life before the SL trip... those which happened by happenstance. Serendipity, if you like. 

I was in Sri Lanka on my way to Ella from Kandy on their picturesque train journey [supposedly one of the most scenic routes in SL. Its good too, feels like the long meandering routes of Munnar, Nilgiris rolled into one]. I happened to meet a French guy on the train and we ended up speaking for a while and speak, we did... we became quite friendly, travelled together a bit and also got to share our music - thats how I learnt about John Butler Trio.

The SL trip by itself was on a whim as I wanted to do a quickie considering the constraint of limited time and booking at the last minute so I can get to use my discount coupons. Interesting how the Supreme Power links up things in ways unimaginable... but in hindsight, it seems as it was just meant to be that way. 

As the protagonist says in 127 hours "This rock has been waiting for me my entire life..." 
Verbatim: "[talking into his camera]
Aron Ralston: You know, I've been thinking, everything is...just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all of this. This rock...this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life. Ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. There, in space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right...right here. I've been moving towards it my whole life. The minute I was born, every breath I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface." Link here

Powerful. Such is life. Such is music too. I am glad to have met someone who led me to John Butler Trio. It was waiting for me all the while. Patiently... till I got hold of it and got addicted to the music. 

Youtube link of JBT: JBT - Ocean start

Its a pity that the trio didnt get more popular. 

Oh speaking of coincidences, its No surprise that even 127 hours happened because I was at a friends place and got to watch the movie out of force than choice. Else, movies and me maintain our respective distances. And I am happier for having seen a movie like that. [Its incidentally a true life story!... My friend asked me to guess the ending after I saw the scene and I guessed it right too. He was shell shocked. And No, I didnt know about the movie or the real life story. Perhaps a bit of reading about mountaineering helped me conclude it? Possible]

Life trundles on... ever so gently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment